Top Ten Tuesday is a meme hosted by The Broke and The Bookish. I will admit, I don’t read paper books anymore (we don’t have the space that kind of library would take up) So my bookish delights will mostly be about how I enjoy reading and things I love when reading.
- I adore when a book makes references to other books. An example would be how in The Readers of Broken Wheel Recommend Grace references Idgie from Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Café.
2. I love going through the NYT best sellers list to see what everybody’s reading. It interests me to see which books are trending.
3. First to Read is one of my current favorite bookish websites. I love getting the chance to read books for free before they get released to the public. It’s like Christmas! This is a definite bookish delight for me.
4. My Kindle app allows me to escape work completely on my breaks. It is nice to leave my register at Wal Mart and forget about that crazy guy that gave me money out of his boxers (god, yes it happens), in order to see what Stephanie Plum is doing. It is fun and relaxing, and so long as I remember to set an alarm no one gets upset.
5. I love stepping into my library and curling up in a chair to read their newspapers. I actually created an on going post about what I find in the papers. A few times a week I will descend on them and read several copies of my town’s newspaper, USA Today, Kansas City Star, New York Times and several others depending on what is available.
6. Again, my library (God bless them). They have an extensive eBook selection that I am constantly rifling through. Before I buy most books I will look there.
7. One of the best feelings in the world is diving under the covers on my day off with my books (okay, phone/ tablet) and my cat Sassy Britches laying on my.
8. Whenever I do get a hold of a paper book I love to take long soaks and read. Horrible, I know, but I can’t help myself.
9.I will probably regret posting this, as my husband will never let me live it down, but when we go on long car rides I delight in listening to his audiobooks. He will listen to his audiobook and I will sleep or read my book. More and more, though, I find myself listening in to his story. Actually audiobooks in general may become a guilty pleasure of mine. I let myself listen to Ireland when I go to the gym as added incentive. Obviously, I don’t spend enough time there because I am still on the same audiobook.
10. And one of my favorite bookish pleasures: book chatter. I love reviewing books, obviously. I love talking to my buddies about books. I often quote little snippets I have read to poor, unsuspecting coworkers. (When I read the story in the USA Today about the woman that tried to run over her parents in Pasadena I read that little snippet to no less than four coworkers.)
And there we are! That was fun! Thanks or listening… er, reading.