I admit, I am WAY too old to be getting all crazy about things. I also admit that it still happens. For Instance, I preordered the screenplay for Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them five months ago just so that I knew it would download immediately when it was released. I proceeded to wake myself up at 3:00 AM on a work day to start said book. (Half way through the book by the way and I love it so much). Once off work I proceeded to my town’s big book store to check out their FB swag- completely lacking, by the way. Target had a great book though. Inside the making of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them has all sorts of info about the movie with great pics and behind the scene stuff- mostly I got it because of the images of the beasts. That’s what it’s all about for me.
So, obviously I am fangirling pretty hard there. This made me think of all the other books that I kind of (an really) acted irrationally about in 2016. Let’s take a walk down memory lane and list them.
- 1. Alright, I loved this book and waited for it for what felt like forever. It was one that I preordered immediately. I had loved the Mortal Instruments series, and the Clockwork series. I was super excited about this book and I inhaled it. Book two is coming out in May of next year and I am already considering preordering just so I know I have budgeted for it. (A lot of my book money comes out of rebate money I get from my Ibotta ap. I have a register on my phone that I use to keep track of what I have and what I have allocated elsewhere as far as book money goes.)
- 2. I loved this book for so many reasons. I didn’t know about it until I got the book from Netgalley, but I went out of my mind about it. I inhaled the book and then wished I could have lunch with the author. It was creative and poignant, beautiful and ridiculously funny. I loved Ivan, perverted thing that he was. I loved the writing style, and the extremely unique insults and euphemisms. (I believe it has the Russian translation for “beef whistle” in the book in reference to one’s penis.) I am still obsessed with this book.
- 3. From the start, all I could think was “Why haven’t I read this book yet?”. Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Café will forever be a favorite of mine. It read like old friends gossiping to one another, taking me to another time and place. I loved the interaction between characters, and the plot was amazing. It will always be a favorite of mine I think.
4. This one blew me away. Time traveling family, secrets, great characters… This book has it all. I fell madly in love with the characters and the premise. I could not let go. Thus, I have preordered Wayfarer (book 2), which comes out in January, and went on the library’s web site to request all the books in her earlier series. I am seriously obsessed with this author.
5. I picked up this series in order to see more from Alexandra Bracken. I was spellbound. The premise, the characters, the writing style… It just grabbed a hold of me. I loved it so much, it will definitely be a re-read for me.
Now, what makes me say that I am “fangirling” about these books? I would see a movie made of any of these. I would buy swag- and I never want to buy book swag. I would wear shirts with quotes or images from any of these books. I would buy buttons, posters, little figurines… seriously.
What have you guys been really excited about?